By Andrés González, Angus Berwick and Carlos Ruano BARCELONA (Reuters) – Spanish police shot dead five would-be attackers after confronting them early on Friday in a town south of Barcelona where hours earlier a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds, killing 13 people and wounding scores of others. Islamic State said the perpetrators […]
700 migrants try to storm Spanish border post with Morocco
MADRID (AP) — Spain says around 700 migrants have tried to storm the border crossing between Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta and Morocco, but none managed to make it across.
The Interior Ministry’s office in Ceuta said the migrants also tried to scale the six-meter-tall (20-foot) barbed-wire fences around Ceuta after the early Thursday crossing attempt at the Tarajal post failed, but were again repelled by Moroccan and Spanish police.
Spain and Morocco on Wednesday agreed to close the Tarajal post to freight traffic for a week because of recent migrant crossing attempts. Pedestrian and passenger vehicles were still allowed.
Every year, thousands of sub-Saharan African migrants living illegally in Morocco try to scale the border fences surrounding Ceuta and Melilla, Spain’s other North African enclave, in a bid to enter Europe.
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- Ten sailors missing after U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore
Aug 20, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- President Trump again blames ‘both sides’ for Virginia violence
Aug 15, 2017
- Driver accused of murder in Charlottesville violence faces court hearing
Aug 14, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Wed, Aug 16, 2017