VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – Pope Francis urged President Donald Trump to be a peacemaker at their highly anticipated first meeting on Wednesday, and Trump promised he would not forget the pontiff’s message. Under clear blue skies, Trump, who exchanged sharp words with the pope during the U.S. election campaign last year, received a tribute from […]
Bitcoin slides after China central bank launches investigation
LONDON (Reuters) – The price of digital currency bitcoin slid around $50 on Wednesday after China’s central bank said it had launched spot investigations on bitcoin exchanges in Beijing and Shanghai in order to fend off market risks.
The investigation of bitcoin exchanges, including BTCC, Huobi and OKCoin, was to look into possible market manipulation, money laundering, unauthorized financing and other issues, according to the statements posted on the People’s Bank of China’s website.
Bitcoin fell from around $909 on the Europe-based Bitstamp exchange to the day’s low of $861, leaving it down almost 5 percent <BTC=BTSP>.
(Reporting by Jemima Kelly; Editing by Patrick Graham)
- Trump meets Pope in Vatican, vows not to forget his message
May 24, 2017
- Suicide bomber kills at least 22, including children, at Britain concert
May 23, 2017
- Texas House passes ‘bathroom bill’ targeting public schools
May 23, 2017
- President Trump wins warm welcome in Saudi Arabia
May 20, 2017
- New Russia probe leaks threaten to derail Trump’s foreign trip
May 19, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Tue, May 16, 2017