SINGAPORE/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Ten sailors are missing after a U.S. warship collided with an oil tanker east of Singapore on Monday, the U.S. Navy said, the second accident involving U.S. Navy destroyers in Asian waters in little more than two months. The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC […]
Bitcoin slides after China central bank launches investigation
LONDON (Reuters) – The price of digital currency bitcoin slid around $50 on Wednesday after China’s central bank said it had launched spot investigations on bitcoin exchanges in Beijing and Shanghai in order to fend off market risks.
The investigation of bitcoin exchanges, including BTCC, Huobi and OKCoin, was to look into possible market manipulation, money laundering, unauthorized financing and other issues, according to the statements posted on the People’s Bank of China’s website.
Bitcoin fell from around $909 on the Europe-based Bitstamp exchange to the day’s low of $861, leaving it down almost 5 percent <BTC=BTSP>.
(Reporting by Jemima Kelly; Editing by Patrick Graham)
- Ten sailors missing after U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore
Aug 20, 2017
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- Prominent U.S. religious conservatives defend Trump after Charlottesville
Aug 20, 2017
- President Trump again blames ‘both sides’ for Virginia violence
Aug 15, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Mon, Aug 14, 2017