SINGAPORE/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Ten sailors are missing after a U.S. warship collided with an oil tanker east of Singapore on Monday, the U.S. Navy said, the second accident involving U.S. Navy destroyers in Asian waters in little more than two months. The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC […]
Court: Indiana woman who lost both legs can sue railroad
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An Indiana appeals court says a woman who lost both legs after she was run over by a freight train can sue the railroad for negligence.
The (Northwest Indiana) Times reports (http://bit.ly/2rw9Dcd ) that the Indiana Court of Appeals last week ruled Crystal Williams can sue the Chicago, South Shore and South Bend Railroad, overturning a lower court’s decision.
The appeals court says there are unanswered questions about the railroad’s duty to prevent Williams’ injuries.
Williams was 17 years old in December 2011 when a train was blocking her way as she walked home in Gary, Indiana. It lurched forward as she tried to climb between rail cars, running over her legs.
The railroad argues it’s not responsible because Williams was trespassing.
Gary is 30 miles (48 kilometers) southeast of Chicago.
Information from: The Times, http://www.nwitimes.com
- Ten sailors missing after U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore
Aug 20, 2017
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- Prominent U.S. religious conservatives defend Trump after Charlottesville
Aug 20, 2017
- President Trump again blames ‘both sides’ for Virginia violence
Aug 15, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Fri, Aug 18, 2017