By Andrés González, Angus Berwick and Carlos Ruano BARCELONA (Reuters) – Spanish police shot dead five would-be attackers after confronting them early on Friday in a town south of Barcelona where hours earlier a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds, killing 13 people and wounding scores of others. Islamic State said the perpetrators […]
Death toll in southern Libyan attack rises to 141 -official
BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) – A spokesman for east Libyan armed forces said on Friday that as many as 141 people had been killed a day earlier in an attack on a southern air base.
Ahmed al-Mismari, a spokesman for the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), said 103 of those killed in the attack at Brak Al-Shati air base were LNA troops stationed in the area.
Earlier, the mayor of Brak Al-Shati and a medical source in the town put the death toll at 89, though the medical official said some bodies had not been brought to the hospital.
It was not possible to independently verify the number of casualties. Local and LNA officials have said that some of those killed were civilians who appeared to have been summarily executed.
(Reporting by Ayman al-Warfalli; Writing by Aidan Lewis; Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- Driver accused of murder in Charlottesville violence faces court hearing
Aug 14, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- The Latest: GOP Sen. Jeff Flake facing challenges in Arizona
Aug 11, 2017
- White nationalists rally ignites Virginia clashes
Aug 12, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Thu, Aug 10, 2017