RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — President Donald Trump says the first day of his maiden international trip has been “tremendous.” Trump was largely kept away from reporters during a busy day of meetings and ceremonies in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. But late in the day, he said deals the U.S. government and private sector reached would […]
Landslide strands about 13,000 Indian pilgrims
LUCKNOW, India (AP) — A landslide stranded about 13,000 Indian pilgrims near a revered Hindu temple site in northern India on Friday, but caused no casualties, an official said.
A spokesman for the Uttarakhand state government, Amit Chandola, said pre-monsoon rains in the mountainous area triggered a landslide of mud and boulders that blocked roads leading to the Badrinath temple.
Chandola said state authorities rushed food and water to the stranded pilgrims and hope to clear the debris and restore movement of vehicles this weekend.
Massive monsoon floods and landslides in Uttarakhand state killed more than 1,000 people and flattened thousands of buildings in 2013.
- President Trump wins warm welcome in Saudi Arabia
May 20, 2017
- New Russia probe leaks threaten to derail Trump’s foreign trip
May 19, 2017
- Toddler found wandering street at night reunited with family
May 22, 2017
- President Trump visits Israel in search of revived peace process
May 22, 2017
- Suicide bomber kills at least 22, including children, at Britain concert
May 23, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Sat, May 20, 2017