By Andrés González, Angus Berwick and Carlos Ruano BARCELONA (Reuters) – Spanish police shot dead five would-be attackers after confronting them early on Friday in a town south of Barcelona where hours earlier a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds, killing 13 people and wounding scores of others. Islamic State said the perpetrators […]
Lewis, Villa lead NYCFC to 2-0 win over Galaxy
CARSON, Calif. (AP) — Jonathan Lewis and David Villa scored to help New York City FC beat the Los Angeles Galaxy 2-0 on Saturday night.
Sean Johnson had five saves in his fifth shutout of the season for New York City (13-7-4).
Lewis, a 20-year-old rookie, side-stepped a defender and then ripped a shot from just outside the box off the bottom of the crossbar and into the net to open the scoring in the 54th minute. It was his first MLS goal.
Villa, working against two defenders, jumped back to create space and then stepped left before rifling a long-range left-footer past Brian Rowe for his MLS-leading 18th goal of the season in the 73rd.
Los Angeles (6-12-5) outshot NYCFC 21-10. The Galaxy are winless, with seven losses, in their last eight games and have just one win since the end of May.
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- Ten sailors missing after U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore
Aug 20, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- President Trump again blames ‘both sides’ for Virginia violence
Aug 15, 2017
- Driver accused of murder in Charlottesville violence faces court hearing
Aug 14, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Wed, Aug 16, 2017