CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (Reuters) – A man said to have harbored Nazi sympathies as a teenager before a failed bid to join the U.S. Army was due in court on Monday to face charges he plowed his car into protesters opposing a white nationalist rally in Virginia, killing a woman and injuring 19. The bail hearing […]
Mattis: Military solution to NKorea would be ‘tragic’
WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis says a military solution to the standoff with North Korea over its nuclear weapons program would be “tragic on an unbelievable scale.”
Mattis says the North’s latest missile test showed it wasn’t heeding cautions from the international community. But he stressed the need for a peaceful resolution by working through the U.N. and with countries including China.
Mattis told reporters Friday that North Korea “probably learned a lot” from last weekend’s launch. He said the missile went very high and came down, but he would not characterize it as demonstrating the controlled re-entry of a missile.
Guiding a long-range missile to a target on return to Earth is a key technological hurdle North Korea must overcome in perfecting a missile that threatens the United States.
- Driver accused of murder in Charlottesville violence faces court hearing
Aug 14, 2017
- Trump: military solutions ‘locked and loaded’ against North Korea threat
Aug 11, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- A Texas preacher is defending President Trump’s tough talk about North Korea
Aug 10, 2017
- White nationalists rally ignites Virginia clashes
Aug 12, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Mon, Aug 7, 2017