SINGAPORE/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Ten sailors are missing after a U.S. warship collided with an oil tanker east of Singapore on Monday, the U.S. Navy said, the second accident involving U.S. Navy destroyers in Asian waters in little more than two months. The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC […]
North Dakota man sentenced for Kandahar Airfield wire theft
FARGO, N.D. (AP) — A North Dakota man has been sentenced to nearly three years in prison for his role in the theft of copper wire from Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan.
Federal prosecutors say 41-year-old Benjamin Guidry was sentenced Monday following his conviction for theft of government property.
In February 2013, Guidry was working for a local Afghan company. The government says evidence at trial showed he solicited two civilian contractors at Kandahar Airfield to obtain various materials for him in exchange for cash.
The contractors reported the defendant to U.S. Army Criminal Investigations Command, which set up a sting operation. Evidence at trial showed Guidry offered one of the contractors $4,000 for help stealing spools of copper worth about $54,000.
Guidry was apprehended after leaving the Air Force compound with the copper wire.
- Ten sailors missing after U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore
Aug 20, 2017
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- Prominent U.S. religious conservatives defend Trump after Charlottesville
Aug 20, 2017
- President Trump again blames ‘both sides’ for Virginia violence
Aug 15, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Thu, Aug 17, 2017