SINGAPORE/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Ten sailors are missing after a U.S. warship collided with an oil tanker east of Singapore on Monday, the U.S. Navy said, the second accident involving U.S. Navy destroyers in Asian waters in little more than two months. The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC […]
Some want Confederate flag removed from NC fire station
TROY, N.C. (AP) — Some people want the Confederate flag to be removed from a volunteer fire department in central North Carolina.
WFMY-TV in Greensboro reports (http://on.wfmy.com/2qEYNRx) the flag has been displayed at the Uwharrie Volunteer Fire Department in Montgomery County for more than 20 years.
The county Democratic Party plans to hand out American flag pins this weekend at a convention and has written a resolution demanding that the rebel flag be removed.
The station reported that people living across from the fire department in Troy did not want to be interviewed, but see the flag as a symbol of their history and think there is no reason to remove it.
The station reported the fire chief would not talk about the situation.
Troy is about 60 miles east of Charlotte.
Information from: WFMY-TV, http://www.wfmynews2.com/
- Ten sailors missing after U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore
Aug 20, 2017
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- Prominent U.S. religious conservatives defend Trump after Charlottesville
Aug 20, 2017
- President Trump again blames ‘both sides’ for Virginia violence
Aug 15, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Tue, Aug 15, 2017