MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) – At least 22 people, including some children, were killed and 59 were wounded when a suicide bomber struck as thousands of fans streamed out of a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande in the English city of Manchester on Monday. Prime Minister Theresa May called an emergency meeting with intelligence chiefs […]
Trump nominates Joint Chiefs chairman for 2nd term
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon says President Donald Trump has nominated Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford to serve a second two-year term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Dunford completes his first term at the end of September. He originally was picked for the job by President Barack Obama. Most chairmen serve two, two-year terms.
By law, the Joint Chiefs chairman is the senior military adviser to the president and to the secretary of defense. He commands no troops.
During his presidential campaign, Trump boasted that he knew more than the generals about defeating the Islamic State group and suggested he might fire some of them.
- Suicide bomber kills at least 22, including children, at Britain concert
May 23, 2017
- President Trump wins warm welcome in Saudi Arabia
May 20, 2017
- New Russia probe leaks threaten to derail Trump’s foreign trip
May 19, 2017
- Texas House passes ‘bathroom bill’ targeting public schools
May 23, 2017
- Toddler found wandering street at night reunited with family
May 22, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Fri, May 19, 2017