CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (Reuters) – A man said to have harbored Nazi sympathies as a teenager before a failed bid to join the U.S. Army was due in court on Monday to face charges he plowed his car into protesters opposing a white nationalist rally in Virginia, killing a woman and injuring 19. The bail hearing […]
Trump nominates Joint Chiefs chairman for 2nd term
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon says President Donald Trump has nominated Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford to serve a second two-year term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Dunford completes his first term at the end of September. He originally was picked for the job by President Barack Obama. Most chairmen serve two, two-year terms.
By law, the Joint Chiefs chairman is the senior military adviser to the president and to the secretary of defense. He commands no troops.
During his presidential campaign, Trump boasted that he knew more than the generals about defeating the Islamic State group and suggested he might fire some of them.
- Driver accused of murder in Charlottesville violence faces court hearing
Aug 14, 2017
- Trump: military solutions ‘locked and loaded’ against North Korea threat
Aug 11, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- White nationalists rally ignites Virginia clashes
Aug 12, 2017
- Former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner gives credit to his Savior
Aug 10, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Tue, Aug 8, 2017