By Andrés González, Angus Berwick and Carlos Ruano BARCELONA (Reuters) – Spanish police shot dead five would-be attackers after confronting them early on Friday in a town south of Barcelona where hours earlier a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds, killing 13 people and wounding scores of others. Islamic State said the perpetrators […]
Two Indian soldiers, three militants killed in gunfight in Kashmir
SRINAGAR, India (Reuters) – Two Indian soldiers and three militants were killed in a 12-hour gunfight in South Kashmir’s Shopian district, a top police official said on Sunday.
The gunfight began on Saturday night when militants hiding inside a village opened fire on security forces, who were conducting a search in the area following a tip-off about the presence of three members of Hizbul Mujahideen – the largest of the anti-Indian Kashmiri militant groups.
The gun battle went on until Sunday morning.
“Three terrorists were killed in the encounter,” S.P. Vaid, director general of the state police, told reporters. “We lost two officers and three army personnel were injured.”
Indian security forces have launched a massive offensive against militants, killing 135 of them this year. Nearly 150 militants were killed last year.
(Reporting by Fayaz Bukhari, Editing By Rajesh Kumar Singh and Kim Coghill)
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- Ten sailors missing after U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore
Aug 20, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- President Trump again blames ‘both sides’ for Virginia violence
Aug 15, 2017
- Driver accused of murder in Charlottesville violence faces court hearing
Aug 14, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Sun, Aug 20, 2017