By Andrés González, Angus Berwick and Carlos Ruano BARCELONA (Reuters) – Spanish police shot dead five would-be attackers after confronting them early on Friday in a town south of Barcelona where hours earlier a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds, killing 13 people and wounding scores of others. Islamic State said the perpetrators […]
U.S.’ Mattis says no recommendation yet on troop levels for Afghanistan
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Friday he had not yet made a recommendation on troop levels for Afghanistan to President Donald Trump.
Speaking to reporters at the Pentagon on Friday, Mattis said he would be presenting the recommendation soon.
Reuters reported in late April that the Trump administration was weighing sending between 3,000 and 5,000 U.S. and coalition troops to Afghanistan.
(Reporting by David Alexander and Phil Stewart; Writing by Yara Bayoumy; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)
- Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona
Aug 18, 2017
- Driver accused of murder in Charlottesville violence faces court hearing
Aug 14, 2017
- A classic Christian film has been re-released nearly 40 years after its debut
Aug 11, 2017
- The Latest: GOP Sen. Jeff Flake facing challenges in Arizona
Aug 11, 2017
- White nationalists rally ignites Virginia clashes
Aug 12, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Fri, Aug 11, 2017