By Doina Chiacu and James Oliphant WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Facing strong condemnation at home and abroad, U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday denied using (an expletive) to describe Haiti and African countries, but kept up criticism of a Senate immigration plan that he said would force the United States to admit people from countries that […]
ON SALE NOW: The American Miracle
ON SALE NOW!
AT KEY TURNING POINTS IN HISTORY, AMERICA CATCHES EVERY BREAK
The history of the United States displays an uncanny pattern: at moments of crisis, when odds against success seem overwhelming and disaster looks imminent, fate intervenes to provide deliverance and progress. Historians may categorize these incidents as happy accidents, callous crimes or the product of brilliant leadership, but the most notable leaders of the last 300 years have identified this good fortune as something else – a reflection of divine providence.
In The American Miracle, bestselling author and radio host Michael Medved recounts some of the most significant events in America’s rise to prosperity and power, revealing a record of improbabilities and amazements that demonstrate what the Founders believed all along: that events unfolded according to some master plan, with destiny playing an unmistakable role in lifting the nation to greatness. Among the stirring, illogical episodes described here:
*A band of desperate religious refugees find themselves blown hopelessly off course, only to be deposited at the one spot on a wild continent best-suited for their survival
*A beaten army, surrounded by a ruthless foe and on the verge of annihilation, manages an impossible escape due to a freakish change in the weather
* A famous conqueror known for seizing territory, frustrated by a slave rebellion and a frozen harbor, impulsively hands over a tract of land that doubles the size of the United States
*A frontier carpenter discovers gold at virtually the same moment a government clerk nearly 2,000 miles away defies the president and risks arrest to secure American control of California
* A weary solider picks up three cigars left behind in an open field and notices the stogies have been wrapped in a hand-written description of the enemy’s secret battle plans—a revelation that gives Lincoln the supernatural sign he’s awaited in order to free the slaves
When millions worry over the nation losing its way, Medved’s sweeping narrative, bursting with dramatic events and lively portraits of unforgettable, occasionally little-known characters, affirms America as “fortune’s favorite,” shaped by a distinctive destiny from our beginnings to the present day.
MICHAEL MEDVED’s daily three-hour radio program, The Michael Medved Show, reaches 5 million listeners on more than 300 stations coast to coast. He is the author of 12 other books, including the bestsellers The 10 Big Lies About America, Hollywood vs. America, Hospital, and What Really Happened to the Class of ’65? He is a member of USA Today’s board of contributors, a former chief film critic of the New York Post and, for more than a decade, cohosted Sneak Previews, the weekly movie-review show on PBS. An honors graduate of Yale with Departmental Honors in American History, Medved lives with his family in the Seattle area.
Brought to you by www.michaelmedved.com
- Trump denies vulgar remarks about Haiti, African countries; condemnation mounts
Jan 12, 2018
- Liberia ruling party expels President Johnson Sirleaf
Jan 14, 2018
- The Latest: Man who aided patient says she’s getting care
Jan 12, 2018
- Thirteen siblings found chained in California home; parents charged
Jan 16, 2018
- Chinese authorities demolish well-known evangelical church
Jan 11, 2018
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Sun, Jan 14, 2018