WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Sunday the U.N. Security Council has run out of options on containing North Korea’s nuclear program and the United States may have to turn the matter over to the Pentagon. “We have pretty much exhausted all the things that we can do […]
Construction of new Outer Banks bridge attracts sightseers
NAGS HEAD, N.C. (AP) — Construction of a North Carolina bridge to replace the one that links isolated Hatteras Island to the mainland is attracting sightseers even though it’s not quite halfway finished.
Dare County commissioner Danny Couch tells The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk, Virginia, that people enjoy crossing the old Bonner Bridge, stopping on the sandy roadside and taking photos of the new structure.
The $250 million span across the Oregon Inlet along North Carolina’s Outer Banks will be nearly 3 miles long. It is scheduled to open in late 2018.
Engineers ran the design through more than 100,000 computer simulations of the 45 worst storms to strike the Outer Banks in the past 160 years. They even accounted for a big barge slamming into its supports as happened to the current bridge in 1990.
- U.S. Ambassador Haley: U.N. has exhausted options on North Korea
Sep 18, 2017
- North Korea threatens to ‘sink’ Japan, reduce U.S. to ‘ashes and darkness’
Sep 14, 2017
- Pastors stand firm as Trump’s U.S. evangelical base weakens
Sep 15, 2017
- Mexicans dig through collapsed buildings as quake kills 217
Sep 20, 2017
- Farmer barred from market over same-sex marriage goes to court
Sep 15, 2017
Editorial CartoonsView More »
Fri, Sep 15, 2017